Thursday 27 February 2014

Bomber Neve in the Cairngorms!

The weather was looking brightest East or North on Tuesday... Lochnagar...?? hmmm no idea what the conditions are like, turns out there have been loads of cornice colapses and avalanches. Ben Eighe? It would have been good but I had a 5am start to get to Balahulish for work the next day, I was lacking the psyche for lots of long drives. So we opted for the Cairngorms, initiatly on a mission for Stags rocks but with the wind and rain battering on the side of the car at Seven in the morning  in the ski car park, we opted for an easier day in the Northern corries.
The Genie followed by Pygmy ridge a great link up and what awesome condition they were in! I dont think we could claim technical 7 for the Genie when it had ice and neve to hit into rather than a sketchy lay away, I might add I did test the lay away up the corner but couldnt resist the neve. It did howl all day so on topping out we escaped quickly down Aladdins couloir, back at the car park for 3pm. Great day out and good decisions made!

Me checking out the crux, its looking good!
I did say it was windy and snowy!?

Since being over on the west coast alot, I had forgotten what the cairngorms were like... a brilliant insitu belay just where I wanted it.


Ian starting up pygmy ridge.

Ian enjoying yet more bomber neve.

No comments:

Post a Comment